Police: Man shoots at ex-girlfriend's home on her birthday

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A 23-year-old man is behind bars after police say he shot his ex-girlfriend's home after repeatedly calling her on her birthday.

The North Charleston Police Department charged Maurice Letroy Quarles with discharging a firearm into a dwelling and unlawful use of a telephone.

On Tuesday at 4:20 a.m., police responded to a mobile home at the Hawthorne Mobile Home Park in reference to shots fired.

When the officer arrived at the home, one of the victims, a 34-year-old man, said his home was struck by gunfire. The officer located three bullet holes outside of the trailer on the right side of the door.

Officers then located two bullet holes in the bedroom where the man and another victim, Quarles' ex-girlfriend, had been sleeping. A police report states one of the bullets traveled through the entire width of the trailer and was lodged in a wall.

An officer said he searched the outside of the home and located three .380 caliber shell casings in the roadway and grass across from the trailer.  The suspect's ex-girlfriend said Quarles had been calling her from two separate numbers several times because it was her birthday and he wanted to speak to her.

An incident report states the victim received three phone calls from Quarles' mother's phone and eight phone calls from the suspect's brother's phone.  The victims said when they actually spoke to Quarles on the phone, they told him to stop calling and leave the area immediately.

According to the victims, at 1:45 a.m., Quarles showed up near the home and stayed for half an hour before leaving. The male victim said when the suspect came back at 4:20 a.m., he fired shots into the home.

Officers were able to track the suspect's vehicle to a home on East Estates Boulevard. When officers arrived, Quarles' mother said that her son had the car, and he lived on Leland Street.

According to investigators, as officers were at Quarles' mother's home, Quarles and his brother pulled up in a vehicle. Police say Quarles denied being at the Hawthorne Mobile Home Park and said he was at a friend's home on Suffolk Street.

Officers say when they asked the suspect's brother if Quarles was with him the whole time, the brother said Quarles left one time at 4 a.m. to get beer. When investigators asked Quarles about what his brother said, Quarles denied it and said he had not left his friend's house at all.

Police reports state Quarles' brother provided a signed statement contradicting what Quarles told investigators. According to police, Quarles told police he had not seen the victim or spoken to her since last September since he was arrested for CDV against her.

Authorities say there was evidence that Quarles attempted to contact the victim several times that night using his brother's cell phone which was in his pocket.

Quarles then admitted to calling her to wish her a happy birthday. Additionally, another police officer identified Quarles' vehicle as the car that left the shooting scene.

The female victim said that she and Quarles have a child in common and were scheduled for a child support hearing that day.

Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.