SC hospice worker saves bedridden man from fire

WEDGEFIELD, S.C. (AP) - A Wedgefield family of six is without a home but no one was hurt thanks to quick-thinking hospice worker Rosalind Wilson.

The Item of Sumter reports the Agape Hospice nursing assistant was giving a bedridden man a bed bath when she smelled something burning.

Wilson says the grandmother was outside doing yard work, a daughter was at work and the grandchildren were at school. Wilson says another bed in the house was on fire, so she got the man into a wheelchair and out of the mobile home.

Sumter County Fire Capt. Joey Duggan says by the time firefighters arrived, 80 percent of the home was in flames.

Wilson had been working with the family for four months.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.