Quantcast

Two families displaced following N. Charleston apartment fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Two families displaced following N. Charleston apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

Two families have been displaced from their homes following a fire at an apartment complex in North Charleston Friday morning.

The North Charleston Police Department says the fire happened just after 12:30 a.m. at the Green Tree Apartments on 2630 Otranto Rd.

Emergency crews found a kitchen fire coming from one of the apartments on the second floor, and quickly extinguished the fire.

The incident is under investigation.

Officials released the following statement on Friday:

The North Charleston Fire Department would like to take a moment to remind our residents that the kitchen can be one of the most hazardous rooms in the home. Forty-four percent of the fires reported in North Charleston in the past five years occurred in the kitchen. Here are some safety tips to help:

Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.

•    If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you're cooking.

•    Stay alert! To prevent cooking fires, you have to be alert. You won't be if you are sleepy, have been drinking alcohol, or have taken medicine that makes you drowsy.

•    Keep anything that can catch fire - potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, towels, or curtains - away from your stovetop.

•    Keep the stovetop, burners, and oven clean.

•    Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire if it comes into contact with a gas flame or electric burner.

•    Plug microwave ovens and other cooking appliances directly into an outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance, as it can overload the circuit and cause a fire.

Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow