Travelers at Charleston International will be seeing some changes in the New Year. Starting in January, construction will have one concourse shut down, as well as some traffic lanes.
"This will be very different for our passengers, but it is a temporary inconvenience for long-term improvement of the airport," said John Connell, deputy director for engineering and planning for the Charleston County Aviation Authority. "We plan to make it easy to navigate the terminal while it is under construction. Our black and yellow way finding signs will help."
Travelers flying in January are encouraged to arrive at the airport a little earlier than normal in order to navigate the changes and board your plane on time.
The construction project is part of a terminal redevelopment and improvement program that started earlier this year. Until now, most of the construction has been outside.
"The airport is going to be transformed over the next two years into a facility that is bright, more open and modern," said Paul Campbell, director of airports. "We ask for everyone's patience as we get through the construction."
Beginning Jan. 6 the following changes will begin:
• The central atrium and hallway leading to Concourse A will be closed. Passengers will use a walkway near baggage claim and in front of the Discover Charleston Shop to access both Concourse A and B.
• Restrooms near the Concourse A checkpoint will close. The restrooms at Concourse B checkpoint and those in the passenger boarding areas will remain open.
• Hudson News will consolidate its atrium news stand with the Discover Charleston Shop.
• Four of the eight traffic lanes in front of the terminal building will close for demolition to the front of the terminal. Motorists should use caution and obey speed limits.