Quantcast

MPD director: Fixing TACT unit problems will cost more money - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

MPD director: Fixing TACT unit problems will cost more money

Posted: Updated:
MEMPHIS, TN -

(WMC-TV) - The Memphis Police Director says the department's TACT Unit is understaffed, under-funded and the equipment is out of date. With the TACT unit back up and running, is it really prepared to keep the city safe?

The answer: yes and no.

When Memphis Police Director Toney Armstrong reinstated the unit Monday, he said the unit is reorganized and ready. He also said they need double the staff to protect a city this size.

He says an October standoff that ended with the death of a suspect in a burning house should serve as a wake up call for metro Memphis.

"We lack appropriate staff to cover all sit positions and we have improper and outdated equipment," said Armstrong.

Armstrong says officers accidentally used outdoor gas rounds that resembled indoor gas rounds during the fatal standoff with Aaron Dumas.

Bronze Star recipient Major Sam Hines is the new commander for the TACT Unit.

"We've reorganized this completely," said Hines. "What we've done is put in a better accountability system."

Armstrong says Hines has made all the changes the department can make without additional funding. He implemented a new ammunition inventory system. He is requiring outdated equipment only be used for training. He set up new crime scene management controls, and designated an equipment officer to dispense materials.

Most importantly, everything must now be labeled.

With internal changes in place, Armstrong says he must now increase staff

"Last year when we went to council, we had recruit classes scheduled for this year, but we had to forego those classes to meet our budgetary requirements. This is what happens," said Director Armstrong.

Armstrong says specialized units like TACT and Organized Crime take the hit when recruiting is suspended.

Uniform Patrol is the primary focus because they answer the mass service calls.

"It's going to cost more money," said Armstrong. "You're talking about more equipment, better equipment, better training."

The causes of the fire and Dumas' death are undetermined. Three supervisors on the scene were reassigned. The department will follow-up with mandatory quarterly meetings.

Get the latest from Action News 5 anytime: iPhone | iPad | Android | SMS Alerts | Email Alerts | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.
  • NEWS LocalNEWSMore>>

  • Children of Chicora Cherokee community protest proposed railway project

    Children of Chicora Cherokee community protest proposed railway project

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:46 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:46:31 GMT
    Children from the Chicora Cherokee Community stopped traffic Wednesday afternoon to get their voices heard. They're protesting Palmetto Railways' proposed rail facility, which will bring more railways and cargo through their North Charleston neighborhood.More >>
    Children from the Chicora Cherokee Community stopped traffic Wednesday afternoon to get their voices heard. They're protesting Palmetto Railways' proposed rail facility, which will bring more railways and cargo through their North Charleston neighborhood.More >>
  • Report: Home invasion suspects put gun to boy's head, shoot at deputies

    Report: Home invasion suspects put gun to boy's head, shoot at deputies

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 5:07 PM EDT2014-07-23 21:07:15 GMT
    Investigators with the Dorchester County Sheriff's Office say four people were detained after a home invasion led to a man putting a gun to a 12-year-old boy's head at a home in Harleyville, and a shootout in a wooded area in Ridgeville early Wednesday morning.More >>
    Investigators with the Dorchester County Sheriff's Office say four people were detained after a home invasion led to a man putting a gun to a 12-year-old boy's head at a home in Harleyville, and a shootout in a wooded area in Ridgeville early Wednesday morning.More >>
  • Family of missing teen diver releases statement

    Family of missing teen diver releases statement

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:58 AM EDT2014-07-23 15:58:55 GMT
    Tristen Allen disappeared during a dive with his father on Saturday.Tristen Allen disappeared during a dive with his father on Saturday.
    The family of a missing 18-year-old who disappeared during a dive with his father off Folly Beach over the weekend issued a statement to the public Wednesday.More >>
    The family of a missing 18-year-old who disappeared during a dive with his father off Folly Beach over the weekend issued a statement to the public Wednesday.More >>
Powered by WorldNow