Homeless man dies in accidental fire in Bamberg

BAMBERG, S.C. (AP) - Authorities say the death of a homeless man found burned in an abandoned home in Bamberg appears to be an accident.

Bamberg County Coroner Willard "Billy" Duncan told The Times and Democrat of Orangeburg (http://bit.ly/1kiV7i3 ) that a medical examiner is awaiting toxicology and forensic reports before giving an official cause of death for 59-year-old John Hightower.

Hightower was found dead Thursday morning. Authorities say he had burns to his chest and head.

Duncan says it appears Hightower spilled the alcohol he was drinking on his clothes, and a candle nearby then set the liquid on fire.

Information from: The Times & Democrat, http://www.timesanddemocrat.com

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.