Quantcast

Cat survives Gulfport apartment fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Cat survives Gulfport apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
Gulfport firefighters saved a cat Sunday night that had been overcome by smoke. (Photo source: Gulfport Fire Dept.) Gulfport firefighters saved a cat Sunday night that had been overcome by smoke. (Photo source: Gulfport Fire Dept.)
GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

A Gulfport apartment is a total loss, and a pet is lucky to be alive after a fire Sunday night. According to Fire Chief Michael Beyerstadt, the fire happened around 7:30om at a three unit complex on 17th Street.

The chief said a man was cooking when he fell asleep and a grease fire started. He then poured water on it, which just made it worse. The kitchen went up in flames. Two adjacent apartments have some structural damage, but mostly smoke damage.

Firemen did save a cat that had been overcome by smoke. They put the animal on a respirator and gave it fresh air. The cat is now okay; no one else was injured.  

Copyright 2014 WLOX. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow