A 64-year-old Johns Island man accused of raping one child and sexually assaulting another was denied bond Thursday afternoon.
Richard Ellwood Cox was denied bond for first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor. Cox was also given a $50,000 bond on two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor.
According to investigators, Cox was arrested at his home on Chisolm Road early Wednesday morning when the US Marshals Fugitive Task Force received information that Cox had returned to the residence.
According to the sheriff's office, the US Marshals had been watching the home over the past three days.
Cox's arrest stems from an incident on Jan. 13, 2014 where a deputy took a report in regards to a sexual assault that happened at a home on Chisolm Road. The complainant told the deputy of information regarding two children, ages 6 and 7, who were fondled by the suspect on several occasions over the course of the year.
An affidavit states that after the suspect had sexual intercourse with one of the victims, he told the child not to tell anyone what happened. Another affidavit states that one of the victims was inappropriately touched by the suspect.
Authorities say the victims were placed into protective custody by DSS and their mother.