Quantcast

Investigators uncover cause of Gordon Street house fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Investigators uncover cause of Gordon Street house fire

Charleston Fire Department officials say a Sunday night blaze at a downtown home was caused by residents attempting to light a fire in their fireplace using yard waste and an ignitable liquid. 

Crews were called out to a house fire on Gordon Street just before 11:30 p.m. Firefighters arrived to find flames venting from the front of the two-story home. 

Officials say the fire was quickly extinguished, but heavy damage was reported in the family room. Three people inside the home at the time of the blaze were able to escape uninjured. 

An investigation revealed the fire originated near the fireplace in the family room. The occupants of the home admitted to placing yard waste materials in the fireplace and using an ignited liquid to try to start the fire. 

Everyone was out of the home and no injuries have been reported.

Charleston Fire continues to investigate the cause of the fire. 

Copyright 2014 WCSC. All rights reserved. 
Powered by Frankly