Quantcast

North Charleston fire spotlights need for cooking safety, fire m - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

North Charleston fire spotlights need for cooking safety, fire marshal says

NORTH CHARLESTON (WCSC) - North Charleston's fire marshal says a Tuesday morning house fire on Bennett Yard Road started in the home's kitchen.

Fire Marshal Cindy Killette says firefighters responded to the fire at 7:56 a.m. and reported seeing smoke from the residence and were quickly able to extinguish the fire.

Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries, Killette says.The leading cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking.

Killette offers these tips for preventing cooking fires:
  • Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
  • If you are simmering, baking, roasting or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don't use the stove or stovetop.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire, including oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains, away from your stovetop.
Smoke alarms save lives, Killette says, adding that almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or non-working smoke alarms. A working smoke alarm can alert you to a fire faster so that you have more time to escape your home.

Anyone in the North Charleston area who needs a smoke detector in their home should call the North Charleston Fire Department at (843) 740-2622. 

Copyright 2014 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly