CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Organizers for the Piccolo Spoleto Festival revealed this year's schedule as well as the season's official poster Thursday.
The festival runs from May 23 through June 8 and includes a mixture of visual arts, poetry readings, music ranging from jazz to classical, dance, theatre, poetry readings, children’s activities, choral music, ethnic cultural presentations, crafts and film.
“Piccolo Spoleto provides an excellent opportunity for everyone to experience the wonder and beauty of the arts. I invite you to join us in celebrating the 36th year of this high-energy, spirited event,” Charleston Mayor Joe Riley said at Thursday's event.
The poster was designed by Charleston illustrator Timothy Banks.
Highlights of the 17-day festival will include:
- Sunset Serenade at the US Custom House, featuring the Charleston Symphony Orchestra in an open-air, admission-free evening concert - Friday, May 23
- Family Day at Marion Square, a day-long community kick-off with preview performances, and children’s activities, alongside the Charleston Farmers Market - Saturday, May 24
- Youth Music Festival and Piccolo Spoleto Craft Show - Sunday, May 25
- An Evening with Pat Conroy and John Warley at the Citadel - Monday, May 26
- Memorial Day Concert at Marion Square, featuring the Charleston and Columbia Community Bands performing a program of patriotic favorites - Monday, May 26
- Finale at Hampton Park, with family fun and live music for everyone - Saturday, June 7
- Piccolo Spoleto Outdoor Art Exhibition, bringing together scores of local and regional visual artists exhibiting and selling their art work at Marion Square - May 23 through June 7
The box office will open May 5.
The full schedule is now available at the Festival’s website,
Information is also available by calling the Office of Cultural Affairs on (843) 724-7305.