COLUMBIA, SC (AP) - South Carolina has withdrawn a lawsuit seeking to keep viable a nuclear reactor fuel project at the Savannah River Site near Aiken.
Attorneys for South Carolina said Friday they were pulling the complaint because the federal government has said it will continue construction through the current fiscal year.
The state sued the U.S. Energy Department to keep the government from defunding a multi-billion dollar project to turn weapons-grade plutonium into commercial reactor fuel. Gov. Nikki Haley said the closure of the mixed-oxide fuel project would harm an international nonproliferation agreement and eliminate hundreds of jobs.
The administration had planned to mothball the multi-billion dollar project but said earlier this month those plans were on hold until at least Sept. 30.