Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – it helps us concentrate better, controls our appetite and keeps the cookie monster away. People who eat breakfast – especially one high in protein and fiber – are less likely to be overweight.
Try these simple breakfast combos:
- Hard boiled eggs and an apple – so easy to grab on the way out the door
- Plain Greek yogurt topped with berries and a high fiber cereal
- Egg white omelet with spinach or other veggies and whole wheat toast
- Scrambled eggs topped with salsa on a whole grain English muffin
- Oatmeal with sliced strawberries on top and a glass of low fat milk
- A wedge of cantaloupe and cottage cheese
- Small whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and sliced bananas
Watch out for breakfasts made with refined white flour and sugar. A breakfast of 3 IHOP pancakes and syrup is more than 900 calories and 21 teaspoons of sugar.
Keep breakfast simple. Look for a source of protein like egg – which you can cook in the microwave in under 2 minutes - or low fat dairy and add a source of fiber like fruit or whole grains. Try to sneak some veggies into breakfast if you can – salsa on your eggs for example. Oh, and be sure to eat – not drink – your fruit.
Copyright 2014 WCSC. All rights reserved.