Summer is a great time to eat lighter and salads are our go-to dish but this is also the time of the year that our delicate lettuces shrivel in the heat. There are a lot of seasonal options that, with some creativity, make fantastic side salads or can even stand-alone.
Try these ideas:
- Mix the kernels of leftover corn on the cob with a dressing of 2 parts plain yogurt to 1 part champagne vinegar and season with salt, pepper and fresh tarragon.
- Use whole grains like quinoa, brown rice or wild rice, bulgur, or barley mixed with leftover vegetables as a cold side salad.
- Add protein like grilled chicken, fish or hard-boiled egg to turn a salad into the main course (try the Contemporary Nicoise salad recipe below).
- Use a seasonal fruit salad to complete your meal.
Here's a recipe for a salad that's definitely worth a try: Contemporary Nicoise Salad
On a platter, lay out the following chilled ingredients:
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh green beans, steamed
- 6 small red potatoes, boiled
- 1/3 cup small black olives
- 3 hard-cooked eggs
- 4 canned artichoke hearts, halved
- 3-4 anchovy filets, cut into thin strips lengthwise, or 6 ounces of tuna
Dress with a balsamic vinaigrette and serve with crusty baguette.