Quantcast

Putin, Fidel Castro meet in Havana - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Putin, Fidel Castro meet in Havana

Posted: Updated:
Russian President Vladimir Putin talks with revolutionary leader Fidel Castro in Havana. (Source: CBS) Russian President Vladimir Putin talks with revolutionary leader Fidel Castro in Havana. (Source: CBS)

HAVANA (CBS) - Russian President Vladimir Putin wrapped up his Cuba visit on Friday with a meeting with former president and revolutionary leader Fidel Castro.

The leaders' conversation lasted for one hour as they discussed bilateral relations, international affairs and the global economy, according to the Kremlin's website.

Ending his Havana visit, the Russian leader was accompanied to Havana's international airport by President Raul Castro.

Earlier, Putin had signed deals with Castro to forgive 90 percent of Cuba's debt, almost $32 billion, as well as discussed a deal to explore for oil off Cuba's northern coast. The remaining 10 percent will be spent by Havana on local investment projects selected with Russian input.

The measure injects much-needed foreign investment into Cuba and demonstrates an act of defiance against the United States, which maintains a 52-year-old economic embargo that effectively shuts out many Western companies from doing business in Cuba.

Putin's journey to the backyard of the United States comes as he is under pressure from the West to help restrain pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine and urge them to find a negotiated solution.

Putin will travel later to Argentina and to Brazil, where he is to attend the final World Cup match and ceremonial handover of host duties.

Copyright 2014 CBS. All rights reserved.

  • InternationalMore>>

  • Defense: Gov't suppressed evidence in Blackwater

    Defense: Gov't suppressed evidence in Blackwater

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:27:00 GMT
    Lawyers for Blackwater security guards are accusing the government of suppressing evidence favorable to the defendants, who are accused in the killings of 14 Iraqis in Nisoor Square in Baghdad.More >>
    Lawyers for Blackwater security guards accused the government on Monday of suppressing evidence favorable to defendants who are on trial in the killings of 14 Iraqis in Nisoor Square in Baghdad.More >>
  • Russia ordered to pay $50 billion over Yukos

    Russia ordered to pay $50 billion over Yukos

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:26 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:26:28 GMT
    The former majority shareholder in Yukos Oil Company says it has won in excess of $50 billion in a court ruling against Russia.More >>
    An international court on Monday ordered Russia to pay more than $50 billion to the former majority shareholders of now defunct oil company Yukos, ruling that the state engaged in a ruthless campaign to destroy what was...More >>
  • In war-struck Gaza, civilians struggle to get by

    In war-struck Gaza, civilians struggle to get by

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:17 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:17:59 GMT
    Caught in the fighting between Israel and Hamas, Gaza's civilians are increasingly struggling to get by. There is no electricity 21 hours a day because power lines have been hit. Water taps have run dry because...More >>
    Caught in the fighting between Israel and Hamas, Gaza's civilians are increasingly struggling to get by. There is no electricity 21 hours a day because power lines have been hit. Water taps have run dry because...More >>
Powered by WorldNow