CHARLOTTE, NC (WCSC) - Mac and Cheese on a hot dog? If that seems like an outrageous idea for a topping, even if it also seems tasty enough that you'd try it, there's a list you need to see. And its release comes just in time for National Hot Dog Day, held every July 23.
Charlotte-based JJ's Red Hots released the results of a study of its own sales data from the past year, guest feedback and social media impact of its best-selling toppings. The candidates were culled from a "Dog of the Week" program, in which area businesses, fans and celebrities are asked what would be on the hot dog of their dreams.
"The Mac Daddy," a hot dog topped with macaroni and cheese, was crowned king on the list. Other contenders included concoctions with clever names like the "Yam I Am," a dog topped with sweet potato hash; and the "Weiner the Pooh," a hot dog with peanut butter.
For traditionalists, mustard rules, according to a study of basic condiments customers request the most. The list of the top 10 basic toppings, in order of preference, was:
- Hot Relish
Here's the full list of wild toppings (and the names of the new creations) preferred by the more adventurous frankfurter connoisseurs:
- "The Mac Daddy" - mac & cheese
- "Yam I Am" - sweet potato hash
- "Weiner the Pooh" - peanut butter
- "Britney Cason's Breakfast Dog" - scrambled eggs
- "Put That in Your Pipe" - Smoked Jalopeno Ketc
- Gold" - pineapple salsa
- "The Franksgiving" - sage and andouille stuffing
- "The Beer-B-Q" - smoked amber barbecue sauce
- "The Maized and Confused" - jalapeno corn salsa
- "The Big Cheesy" - house-made pimento cheese
"We listen to our partners and guests and they have had some amazing ideas this past year," JJ's spokesperson Brandy Newton said.
Though industry groups encourage and sponsor events honoring the hot dog, the origin of National Hot Dog Day is unclear.