Firefighters: Sprinkler system helped stop spread of Downtown Ch - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters: Sprinkler system helped stop spread of Downtown Charleston apartment fire


 A sprinkler system helped stop the spread of a Downtown Charleston apartment fire, according to Charleston firefighters.

The Charleston Fire Department says units were called out to 21 George Street Friday afternoon by an automatic fire alarm.

Once on-scene, firefighters smelled something burning and saw water flowing underneath the door of one of the apartments.

According to firefighters, neighbors were then evacuated, and fire officials made their way into the apartment.

Firefighters say a single sprinkler contained the fire, which started in the kitchen.

According to firefighters, had the sprinkler not gone off, damage could have been far worse.  The apartment only sustained minimal damage.

Fire officials say the fire was accidental.  It started on the stove, when a new tenant moving into the unit left items on the surface of the stove.

One of the knobs was accidentally turned on, starting the fire, according to firefighters.

Copyright 2014 WCSC.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly