MOUNT PLEASANT, SC (WCSC) - Wando High School's first football scrimmage against Berkeley High School was canceled over concerns of possible staph infections among students.
A varsity football player was first diagnosed Wednesday.
Other players, members of the school's ROTC program, the marching band and any student on campus this week are now being tested. Some students have reported signs of skin irritation.
School officials say a "small number" of students are being treated for the infection, but have not yet said exactly how many have been diagnosed as they wait for additional test results.
Staph bacteria is found on almost everything we touch, but it can sometimes lead to a deadly infection.
Preventing a staph infection
A quick Google search and tons of pictures of staph infections pop up.
"When staph infects the skin, it can present itself as kind of a large bump to look like a large pimple or boil," said Dr. Lee Yarbrough with Mount Pleasant Dermatology.
Yarbrough says staph is a common bacteria that's found in the environment.
The dermatologist treats patients who have problems with their skin.
"Most skin infections are caused by staph," said Yarbrough.
He says everyone reacts differently to staph and it's unusual for someone to die from the infection.
"If left untreated for some time, it can get into blood stream," said Yarbrough.
Staph can be treated in two ways.
"So a topical antibiotic is crème or ointment that we use to spread into the area that can treat the bacteria, as well as an oral antibiotic which is a pill that's taken mouth," said Yarbrough.
Right now students at Wando high school are being treated after a football player was diagnosed with the infection.
Hygiene is a good way to stay healthy.
"They really shouldn't share towels; they shouldn't share different hygiene things in the locker room. Deodorants, razors, things like that," said Kim Sterret, a physical therapist with Carolina Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine.
Sterret says to cover sores and wounds so staph can't enter your body. She also says be smart, and wash your hands.
"Staph is passed by direct contact. Somebody touching somebody else's pencil or something like that, a gas pump or that sort of thing," said Sterret.
Staph can be serious, but overall the physical therapist says you shouldn't walk around scared for your life.
"It's mainly good common sense in wherever you're going and just knowing that it's kind of up to your own personal care," said Sterret.
You should see a doctor if you or your child has an area of red, irritated skin, pus filled blisters or a fever.
You may also want to talk to your doctor if the skin infection is being passed around to other family members.