GOOSE CREEK, SC (WCSC) - A fire in Goose Creek Sunday morning left a veteran and his family without a home.
According to Goose Greek Rural Fire, the fire started a little before 4:00 am Sunday morning when a neighbor noticed the flames and called it in.
No one was home during the fire. Mary Lee Taylor and her husband were in Florence, South Carolina celebrating his birthday when they found out their house had burned down.
"Everything was lost. Everything was gone," Mary Lee Taylor said. "The most important thing is that everyone is alive and no one got hurt."
SLED is investigating the fire since no one was home. The fire department said they have no reason to believe it was intentionally set. Mary Lee Taylor said SLED told her they believe a breaker box near the washer and dryer caused the fire to start.
Mary Lee Taylor said the fire destroyed everything the family had collected in the almost 60 years they had lived in the home including her husband's military certificates and discharge papers from his time in the Air Force.
The Taylors said the community has already started to help them move forward.
"Today when I got here from Florence, the yard was filled with all of my friends and all of my church people, and I was just happy that everyone was concerned about me," Mary Lee Taylor said. "My next step is getting my home rebuilt again."