Bond revoked for man who shut down Ravenel bridge twice
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -
The man who shut down the Ravenel Bridge twice is back behind bars after having his bond revoked by a circuit judge Friday morning.
Phillip DeClemente, 41, was booked on a GPS violation at the Al Cannon Detention Center just before 11 p.m. Wednesday. DeClemente's bond was revoked by Judge Young in downtown Charleston, meaning he will go back to jail.
Charleston County deputies were looking for DeClemente after he posted bond at a North Carolina jail on Monday, where he was being held on an escape warrant for messing with his ankle monitor here in Charleston County.
DeClemente was arrested Saturday morning in Maggie Valley on an escape warrant for failure to comply with the ankle monitoring agreement.
Lt. C.W. Brokaw with the CCSO said DeClemente was being held in Haywood County where he was fighting extradition. Brokaw confirmed DeClemente bonded out Tuesday, but was still wanted in Charleston County. Originally, officials did not know where DeClemente was going, but now he is back in jail. It's not clear if authorities took him into custody, or if he turned himself into deputies.
Brokaw said a hearing had been set for DeClemente for Oct. 15 in Haywood County.
On the night of Jan. 31, 2014, authorities say DeClemente caused police to shut down the Ravenel Bridge following an attempted traffic stop.
Court documents state the incident started when the victim told police DeClemente arrived at his home after sending 8 text messages that said "I'm going to find you and take care of you."
The victim also told Charleston police, DeClemente was in the driveway acting aggressively and shouting offensive comments.
According to investigators, DeClemente did not stop after officers attempted to pull him over due to reports of the driver making threats to people. Authorities say DeClemente later called Charleston Consolidated Dispatch to tell police he was on the Ravenel Bridge.
The bridge was shut down for roughly an hour as officials responded to the scene, and DeClemente was taken into custody.
DeClemente was also involved in a situation that resulted in the four hour closure of Ravenel Bridge on Feb 2, 2012.
In that incident, Charleston police say DeClemente drove a white SUV onto the bridge with messages painted on it that said "Stay Away," "Back," "Happy Now" and "Game Over." Authorities say they received a phone call from family members saying DeClemente was planning to hurt himself on the bridge.
After a long standoff with authorities, DeClemente began driving the SUV towards the end of the bridge and into a wall. As DeClemente began to open the door of the SUV, police moved in and took him into custody.
DeClemente was taken to MUSC for evaluation, and later cited for reckless driving in that incident.