CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Early voting is underway in South Carolina for voters who can't make it to the polls on Nov. 4.
To vote absentee in person, visit your county voter registration office, complete an application and cast your ballot up until 5 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 3.
To vote absentee via email, you should request an application from your county voter registration office and one will be mailed to you, but you have until 5 p.m. on Friday to return the completed application, then you must return your completed ballot in person or by mail no later than 7 p.m. on Election Day.
Here is a list of those qualified to vote by absentee ballot, according to the state Election Commission:
- Students attending school outside their county of residence and their spouses and dependents
- Members of the Armed Forces or Merchant Marine serving outside their county of residence and their spouses and dependents residing with them (click here for additional information)
- Persons serving with the American Red Cross or United Service Organizations (USO) serving with the Armed Forces outside their county of residence and their spouses and dependents
- Persons who, for reasons of employment, will not be able to vote on election day
- Physically disabled persons
- Government employees serving outside their county of residence on Election Day and their spouses and dependents residing with them
- Persons with a death or funeral in the family within three days before the election
- Persons who plan to be on vacation outside their county of residence on Election Day
- Certified poll watchers, poll managers, and county election officials working on Election Day
- Overseas Citizens (click here for additional information)
- Persons attending sick or physically disabled persons
- Persons admitted to the hospital as emergency patients on Election Day or within a four-day period before the election
- Persons serving as a juror in state or federal court on Election Day
- Persons sixty-five years of age or older
- Persons confined to a jail or pre-trial facility pending disposition of arrest or trial
During the 2010 General Election, which was the last gubernatorial election in South Carolina, more than 153,000 people voted by absentee ballot, election officials say.
Get more information about absentee voting at the South Carolina Election Commission's website: http://www.scvotes.org