NORTH CHARLESTON (WCSC) - "It was like a black, rolling fire. It was just rolling and rolling like kerosene was on it," said Mary Mazyck.
Mazyck was in her Taylor Street home in North Charleston, when she realized it was on fire.
"I just tried to get myself together and get out of the house. The fire people were yelling, get out, get out," said Mazyck.
Neighbors quickly came to make sure she was okay.
"I saw the flames as I ran out the door to try and make sure no one was in the house and I saw the smoke," said Sabrina Crummey, a neighbor.
The blaze broke out around 11 a.m. Officials say it started at a garage out back of Mazyck's home and then spread next door. Folks inside the engulfed home say all that matters, is that everyone got out safely.
"We can get other things. Things, like materialist things. We can get that back, but if somebody gets burned or something than that's different," said Mazyck.
Mazyck and her family lost most of their belongings.
"All of the back bedrooms and clothes and what not," said Mazyck.
Neighbors say the timing couldn't be worse for a fire with the holidays approaching. Meanwhile, the Red Cross was there and says they will do everything they can to help the two families recover from the blaze.
"Yeah. Thank god for all of the help that came by," said Mazyck.
"It's just awful. I'm saddened for the family. I really am," said Crummey.