Quantcast

One injured in Johns Island house fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

One injured in Johns Island house fire

Photo Source; AP Stock Graphic Photo Source; AP Stock Graphic
JOHNS ISLAND, SC (WCSC) -

One person received a minor injury while attempting to battle a house fire on Johns Island Wednesday night.

Firefighters responded to a home on the 3600 block of Belvedere Road on Johns Island at approximately 11:15 p.m., according to St. John's Fire District Battalion Chief James Ghi. The first unit to arrive reported fire and smoke showing from the rear of the home, Ghi said.

The intense cold weather and wind conditions were hurdles crews overcame quickly, Ghi said, containing the fire within an hour.

Ghi said one resident of the home was awakened by the sound of the fire, and that smoke alarms activated very soon after the resident woke. Having alarms allowed all residents of the home to escape, Ghi said.

Fire officials say one adult received a minor injury to the hand while attempting to battle the fire with wet towels, but was treated on the scene and not transported to the hospital. 

The fire displaced a family of four and a dog, Ghi said.

Fire officials said a family member who was not at home was called prior to the residents calling 911. Ghi said 911 should be your first call whenever there is an emergency, whether it is an injury, illness, or fire.

"Once everyone has been evacuated from a building that is on fire, the next step is to call 911," Ghi said in a statement.

Smoke alarms should be tested once a month and batteries should be changed twice a year, Ghi said. Firefighters often suggest people change batteries in their smoke detectors on the same days clocks are set forward or backward because of Daylight Saving Time, since that provides a regular schedule for doing so.

Heating sources, like space heaters, should be kept at least three feet away from all combustible material such as bedding and curtains, officials say.

Fireplace ashes and smoking material should be placed in a metal container about one-quarter full with water to ensure any hot embers are extinguished prior to placing in a trash container.

Copyright 2015 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly