COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - A family was displaced after their home was destroyed in a fire Friday evening in Colleton County.
Crews with Colleton County Fire-Rescue responded to the home on Augusta Highway around 4:30 p.m. Friday.
Fire Chief Barry McRoy with Colleton County Fire-Rescue says firefighters arrived at the home near I-95 to find the 4,800 square foot two story house engulfed in flames. McRoy says a second alarm was issued shortly after arrival and a portion of the roof collapsed. he adds that the main structure then collapsed shortly after.
The fire was contained within 35 minutes according to McRoy. He says the fire was completely under control about an hour later.
The homeowner told crews that he started a fire in the home's fireplace. He said it was the first time they had used the fireplace since the home was built 15 years ago. About 15 minutes later, the homeowner says he saw flames through a window in the back of the home. After investigating, he says he found the house and roof were on fire.
McRoy says the homeowner was able to evacuate everyone from the home safely and call 911. No one was injured during the incident.