A Georgetown County K-9 officer was euthanized Monday following a fire at the kennels that house the department's tracking canines.
"Blue," a one-year-old Bluetick mixed tracking bloodhound suffered extensive burns in the Saturday afternoon fire and was transported to an emergency veterinary hospital in Mount Pleasant for treatment, according to Georgetown Sheriff's spokesperson Carrie Cuthbertson.
"After extensive medical treatment, it was apparent 'Blue' would not recover from injuries sustained in the fire and his condition continued to decline," Cuthbertson said in a release. "After consultation with the medical staff, the tough decision was made to euthanize 'Blue' to alleviate any prolonged pain and suffering."
The cause of the fire appeared to be accidental, Cuthbertson said. After recent renovations conducted on the kennels, it appeared one of the canines chewed and exposed electrical wiring, which caused the fire.
Firefighters responded to a fire at the sheriff's office at approximately 1:15 p.m. on Saturday. Officers reported fire in the kennels.
Firefighters immediately removed the canines to safety to extinguish the fire.
The sheriff's office obtained "Blue" from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.