Charleston County's Al Cannon Detention Center on Saturday will host a job fair for those interested in becoming certified detention officers or looking to work in the medical field.
The detention center is collaborating with the Charleston Center for Occupational Health to sponsor a job fair and community event from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m., according to Charleston County Sheriff's Maj. Eric Watson.
The event is open to the public, families and the community and will feature tours of the detention center facility and show off new equipment and vehicles. Hot dogs, chips and soft drinks will be available for free.
The job fair is not just a recruitment tool, Watson says, but is also designed to help educate the community on the unique capabilities of the sheriff's office and the detention center. It will also provide career-minded people the chance to apply for work in public service, Watson says.
Minimum job requirements for a detention officer:
- Applicant must be a United States citizen
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must possess a valid South Carolina driver's license
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must not have prior criminal convictions
- Must successfully complete pre-employment testing
- Must successfully complete South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy
Detention officer employee benefits include:
- Excellent starting salary ($29,348 - $35,405)
- Paid training and 3% salary increase after completion of SCCJA
- Vested in SC Police Retirement Program
- 12.25 hours shift with the availability of overtime
- Medical/Dental/Vision and Life Insurance
- 10 Observed holidays plus 7 vacation days a year
- Great promotion potential
- Uniforms provided
The CCOH is a diversified medical service provider that is committed to hiring a trained, competent workforce that enjoys providing medical services to the community, Watson says.
The center's corrections division provides patient-centered medical care to the inmates of the Al Cannon Detention Center. They are currently seeking LPNs and RNs to join their team.
For more information on the job fair and community event, visit www.charlestoncounty.org or call the recruitment office at (843) 554-2499.
It is recommended that applicants fill out an application prior to attending, Watson says.