JOHNS ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - A Johns Island man says he plans to stay with a friend after a Sunday afternoon fire destroyed his home.
Neighbors spotted smoke coming from the home on Daniel Fludd Road shortly before 1 p.m. and called 911, according to St. Johns Fire District Capt. Chad Kelly.
The homeowner was at church at the time of the fire, and said he grew up in the home.
"Oh, man, I almost fell to my knees," Bryan Washington said. "But I thank the Lord that I wasn't there. So you can always get another home or something but you can't get a life again."
Units from St. John's Fire District, Charleston Fire, James Island Public Safety and Charleston County EMS responded. Firefighters connected hoses together for about a mile to reach the nearest hydrant.
"911 should be your first call when there is an emergency," Kelly said in a statement. "Whether the emergency is an injury, illness or fire, seconds count."