Emergency crews extinguish fire in McClellanville

Emergency crews extinguish fire in McClellanville
Source: Live 5 News
Source: Live 5 News
Source: Live 5 News
Source: Live 5 News

CHARLESTON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - Responders were called to a chimney fire that spread to the roof of a home on the 9900 block of Alert Road in McClellanville at 6:10 Wednesday night.

A spokesperson for the Awendaw Fire Department says someone was inside the home when the fire started, and tried to extinguish it herself before firefighters arrived.

The Awendaw Fire Department rescued two cats from the home with assistance from Georgetown and Mount Pleasant fire departments. No one living in the home was hurt, but officials say they cannot confirm or deny whether a firefighter was injured in the blaze.

Copyright 2015 WCSC. All rights reserved.