Quantcast

Short circuit in battery charger activates fire alarm at Colleto - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Short circuit in battery charger activates fire alarm at Colleton Co. High School

Photo Source: Colleton Co. Fire-Rescue Photo Source: Colleton Co. Fire-Rescue
Photo Source: Colleton Co. Fire-Rescue Photo Source: Colleton Co. Fire-Rescue
COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) -

Colleton County firefighters responded to a fire alarm Friday night at Colleton County High School that turned out to be caused by a short circuited battery charger.

Authorities say the a fire alarm activated around 10:08 p.m., after a military ball had ended and students and staff members were in the process of leaving the facility.

When firefighters arrived, they were met by a school official at the gym entrance who reported smoke in the building.

Once inside, firefighters reported minor smoke and haze, and traced the smoke to a large battery charger that charges a floor cleaning machine. The device had a short circuit and burned some internal electrical components, which caused the smoke and burning smell.

The device was approximately 15 feet from the smoke detector, firefighters say.

There was no damage to the building.

Copyright 2015 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly