CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A new edition of the classic game, Monopoly, is being revealed today and Charleston will be part of the board. Hasbro is launching the Monopoly Here & Now game this fall featuring 20 cities around the U.S. chosen by popular vote. Hasbro announced the winning cities today on the Monopoly brand's official birthday.
Fans were invited to vote in an online poll powered by Buzzfeed to choose the cities featured in the Monopoly Here & Now: World Edition and U.S. edition. Nearly 4 million votes were cast in 182 countries during the process and fans chose Lima, Peru and Pierre, South Dakota as the top properties for their respective games.
Charleston jumped into the top ten early in the voting and ended up eighth overall. That means Charleston will appear as one of the "yellow" properties on the board.
The Monopoly Here & Now edition is part of the Monopoly brand's 80th anniversary. Parker Brothers acquired the rights for the game from Charles Darrow on March 19, 1935. Monopoly board games are now sold in 114 countries and in 47 languages.
Based on the vote, the winning cites to be featured include:
MONOPOLY HERE & NOW: U.S. Edition
- Dark Blue: Pierre, SD; Minneapolis, MN
- Green: New York, NY; Virginia Beach, VA; Los Angeles, CA
- Yellow: Chicago, IL; Indianapolis, IN; Charleston, SC
- Red: Detroit, MI; Boston, MA; Milwaukee, WI
- Orange: Cleveland, OH; Asheville, NC; Denver, CO
- Magenta: Atlanta, GA; Little Rock, AR; Seattle, WA
- Light Blue: Portsmouth, NH; Charlotte, NC; Dallas, TX
- Brown: Waconia, MN; Chesapeake, VA
MONOPOLY HERE & NOW: World Edition
- Dark Blue: Lima, Peru; Hong Kong, China
- Green: Riga, Latvia; Lisbon, Portugal; Istanbul, Turkey
- Yellow: Warsaw, Poland; Mexico City, Mexico; Santiago, Chile
- Red: Belfast, Ireland; Athens, Greece; Belgrade, Serbia
- Orange: London, England; Moscow, Russia; Tokyo, Japan
- Magenta: New York, NY, U.S.A; Amsterdam, Netherlands; Sydney, Australia
- Light Blue: Queenstown, New Zealand; Cape Town, South Africa; Taipei, Taiwan
- Brown: Giethoorn, Netherlands; Madrid, Spain
The Monopoly Here & Now games will also feature a different style of play from the traditional game. Players will race around the board, stopping on as many different locations as possible. Players will collect passport stamps along the way and the first player to fill their passport is declared the winner.
Fans can find the results of the MONOPOLY HERE & NOW property space vote at