CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Officials with the Charleston Fire Department say a firefighter was treated for injuries after battling a blaze late Sunday night in downtown Charleston.
The fire sparked at a two-story duplex on Marlowe Drive just before 11:30 p.m., according to Ryan Kunitzer with the Charleston Fire Department.
Crews arrived to see smoke venting from the duplex, and were able to get the flames under control within 15 minutes of arriving.
Kunitzer says a firefighter was injured while battling the fire, and was treated and released at a local medical facility.
One unit in the structure suffered heavy fire damage, while the second unit received smoke and water damage. All residents were able to escape without injury.
Kunitzer says the Red Cross provided assistance to seven residents who were displaced due to the fire.
Officials are still working to determine the cause of the fire. Preliminary findings indicate the cause is likely related to an unattended candle.
The duplex was not equipped with working smoke alarms.