CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - This Memorial Day Weekend the Coast Guard is reminding boaters to do the right thing when it comes to safety on the water.
Here are a few tips to ensure your safety:
- Make sure your boat is checked before launching it into the water.
- Make a float plan with responsible friends and family members. That means letting them know where you intend to go and when you plan on returning.
- Always check the weather before hand.
- Don't drink alcohol. Boating and alcohol don't mix: boating impaired can be just as deadly as driving a car impaired.
- Make sure that you have enough life jackets for everyone on board before starting your trip.
Observing these tips on the water can help minimize or eliminate boating incidents.