Quantcast

43-year-old man suffers severe burns following Walterboro fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

43-year-old man suffers severe burns following Walterboro fire

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share
Picture provided. Picture provided.
COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - A 43-year-old man suffered severe burns from a house fire in Walterboro early Wednesday morning. 

Officials with the Colleton County Fire and Rescue Department say the fire happened at a home on Overlook Lane. 

At 2:27 a.m., emergency officials were notified that flames were already burning through the roof of the home. 

Deputy Chief Greene arrived two minutes later to find a well involved single story brick residence. Greene began treating the injured man who received second and third degree burns to his hands and burns to his face. 

The man was awakened by smoke alarms in the home, and ran to a neighbor's house for help.

While firefighters worked to extinguish the fire, firefighter-paramedics transported the man to Colleton Medical Center to be stabilized. 

Due to poor weather conditions near the Georgia border, no medical helicopters could fly to the Burn Center. 

Fire-Rescue Medic 1 transported the man from CMC to the Still Burn Center in Augusta 

Authorities say the fire had already destroyed most of the eastern side of the residence and burned into the attic on the western side. 

Crews worked for 25 minutes to bring the fire under control. 

Authorities say shingles which collapsed from the room made it hard for firefighters to extinguish the fire. 

Most of the roof was burned off of the building, but the living area on the western side of the building was saved. The area suffered drop down and water damage, but many personal items were salvageable. 

CCFR officials say the fire originated above the stove, and believe started from unattended cooking. 

Copyright 2015 WCSC. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly