Quantcast

Charleston County man convicted of scalding 2-year-old boy - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Charleston County man convicted of scalding 2-year-old boy

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

A 29-year-old Charleston County man has been found guilty of scalding a 2-year-old boy who authorities say suffered "horrendous" injuries to his body. 

Solicitor Scarlett Wilson announced on Wednesday that a Charleston County jury found Reginald Bruce Taylor, Jr. guilty of inflicting great bodily injury to a child. Judge Roger Young will sentence Taylor at a later date. 

“This community is so fortunate to have the access to and support of the world class doctors at MUSC," Wilson said."Without their treatment to these young victims and follow-through with courtroom testimony, we would have a much tougher job in holding child abusers responsible.”

According to authorities, on Dec. 1, 2012, the 2-year-old victim was brought to MUSC suffering from second-degree and third-degree burns on his feet, lower calves, buttocks, and genitalia. 

Court records state Taylor, was the former boyfriend of the child's mother. 

Prosecutors say Taylor was home alone with the victim and his 1-year-old son at the time of the incident.

The solicitor's office says the victim, who was being toilet trained, had an accident, and Taylor ran scalding water in the tub and then immersed the young boy in the water. The hot water burned the child badly, but Taylor never called 911, according to authorities. 

Taylor admitted under cross examination that the boy's the injuries occurred hours before the child was taken to MUSC, prosecutors say. 

"Taylor claimed that he put the child in the bathtub and that the child turned on the hot water and burned himself," states a release by the solicitor's office."The young boy stayed in the hospital for one month and was released to a Foster Care mother who dealt with medically fragile children."

Dr. Carrie Busch, a Child Abuse Pediatric Fellow at MUSC, testified that she examined the child and concluded that the injuries could not have been accidental because of the location of the burns and the burn pattern. 

"After leaving Foster Care, the victim lived with his paternal grandmother. Both the Foster Care mother and the paternal grandmother testified about the wounds to the victim, the necessity of pain medication, the wearing of burn suits by the child, and the loss of playful activities the child previously enjoyed," states a release by the solicitor's office."When the toddler left his grandmother's care in November of 2014, and was returned to his mother's custody, he was still unable to walk for any extended period of time."

Prosecutors say testimony during hearings this week revealed that the victim's mother was not cooperative with MUSC or with law enforcement and the solicitor's office. 

Assistant Solicitor Shannon Elliott stated, “The victim's injuries were horrendous and tough to see. We are hoping for his full recovery and grateful that the jury saw the facts and the defendant as we did.”

Copyright 2015 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly