CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Officials with the South Carolina National Guard say they are taking a systematic approach to increase security following shootings at military facilities in Chatanooga.
Starting on Monday, recruiters in some states at National Guard centers will be armed. South Carolina is not one of those states yet.
Capt. Brian Hare with SCNG says the department will reassess things moving forward before setting a standard.
SCNG released the following statement last week:
In wake of the attacks on military members in Chattanooga, Tennessee, the South Carolina National Guard will continue to coordinate, work and train with local law enforcement personnel, to include active shooter exercises and increase physical security measures at all facilities state-wide. With support by Gov. Haley and in coordination with local law enforcement, Maj. Gen. Robert E. Livingston, the adjutant general for South Carolina, has authorized designated individuals in the ranks to be armed. All South Carolina National Guard members are reminded to maintain a heightened awareness of the threat.
Force protection is always the top priority both overseas and in the United States. Since the attacks on 9-11 and call by ISIS terrorists to attack military and law enforcement in the United States, the South Carolina National Guard has increased their force protection measures.
"Our primary focus is the safety of our Service members and their families while continuing our vital service to the state of South Carolina and the U.S. We are well coordinated with our federal, state and local law enforcement agencies," said Livingston. "Our immediate actions are to increase physical security and assess any vulnerabilities. We will arm our National Guard members appropriate to the threat."