CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Crews worked into the early hours of the morning battling a fire at an apartment building downtown Charleston Friday.
Charleston County Dispatchers report the first calls came in around 12:50 a.m. for a fire on Logan Street.
According to a news release, units from the Charleston Fire Department and James Island Public Service District responded to find visible smoke and flames from the second floor of the three-story building. The tenants evacuated the building prior to their arrival.
Firefighters were quickly able to extinguish a blaze in an apartment on the second floor. No injuries were reported, but three people living in the unit have been displaced.
The Charleston Fire Department offered a few safety tips in their news release:
- Always maintain working smoke alarms in your home. Smoke alarms should be on every floor, and inside and outside of each sleeping area.
- Test smoke alarms monthly. Batteries should be changed on a yearly basis.
- Create an escape plan, discuss, and practice with other occupants of your residence about what to do in case of a fire.