CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Nearly two years after the kitchen fire that shut down operations at Charleston's Anson Restaurant, owner Donna Moeckel is ready to reopen it's doors.
According to fire officials, the fire was reported just after Noon on Christmas Eve of 2013, with callers reporting flames coming from the grill area and extending up the wall into the kitchen's exhaust hood.
Although the building was occupied, no one was hurt.
Staff had been preparing dinner for an expected guest list of more than 600 people between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
"Nobody knew how bad the fire was at that time," Moeckel said.
"We just couldn't believe it."
Manager Phil Pettus, who's worked with the restaurant more than 20 years, said just over a dozen employees are still on staff, following a series of setbacks and construction delays.
Pettus said the restaurant received its certificate of occupancy Tuesday afternoon, and plans to reopen Thanksgiving Day at Noon.
Anson is expected to operate on a limited menu, and with limited seating for the first couple weeks.
"It's exciting," another staff member said.
"I just wish it was under different circumstances."