(ANGIE'S LIST) - How much is your time worth when it comes to household chores?
Home improvement stores are everywhere and dozens of Do-It-Yourself shows are on TV, and many people now attempt all kinds of complex projects around the house. But not everyone is on board the DIY train. New data shows a lot of you are putting free time first and hiring out for some simple chores.
Angie's List founder, Angie Hicks says a busy life for you means more business for companies that focus on yard work, house cleaning and handyman services. A January survey of nearly 25 hundred Angie's List members asked people where their home services dollars were going. Professional yard work topped the list last year and is expected to again in 2016. Nearly 20 percent of homeowners will hand over their chore list over to a pro to increase free time.
"With people as busy as they are, especially with their kids in lots of activities, a lot of time you find that they're hiring out more chores than we used to whether it be cleaning the house, mowing the lawn or cleaning the gutters," said Hicks.
Angie's List also has these five tips for hiring a handyman to help with small projects:
- Understand pricing. Many handyman services, but not all, charge an hourly rate and a fee for travel. Angie's List members report an average of $83 per hour, with a range of $50 to $100 per hour. Costhelper.com reports a range of $60 to $125 per hour.
- Explain your problem in detail. Handymen like to know what they're up against, so be prepared to tell them in as much detail as possible.
- Know the job's scope. Handyman services stick to smaller jobs. They won't rewire or replumb your house.
- Prepare your to-do list. It's normal to need a million different odd jobs done around your house. Have a detailed list ready so a handyman can assess the best way to get them all done in the most efficient, affordable manner.
- Keep that phone number handy. One trip from the handyman may fix your current problem, but you'll have plenty of pictures and light fixtures to hang in the future.