Quantcast

Colleton County man saved by smoke detector - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Colleton County man saved by smoke detector

Photo Source: AP Photo Source: AP
COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) -

A Colleton County man escaped safely from his burning home after waking up to the sounds of a smoke alarm Friday morning. 

The fire first started in a bedroom, then spread to the hall. The man had been sleeping on the couch in the living room. 

The door to the bedroom was shut, which helped keep the fire contained until it burned through the door.

Colleton County Fire-Rescue was alerted around 5 a.m. and arrived on the scene roughly four minutes later. Firefighters and paramedics found heavy smoke conditions coming from the single story wood house and could see flames through the front bedroom windows. 

Firefighters quickly knocked down the fire in the hall and managed to contain the blaze to the bedroom. 

The bedroom suffered heavy damage, but the rest of the home was saved. 

Upon searching the resident, firefighters found and rescued a cat. Paramedics performed an exam, but the cat seemed to be in good condition without showing any signs of distress. 

Copyright 2016 WCSC. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly