WALTERBORO, SC (WCSC) - Fourteen alleged members of two violent street gangs in South Carolina and alleged associates of both gangs have been indicted by a federal grand jury, according to a news release from the U.S. Department of Justice.
The suspects are accused of conspiring to participate in a racketeering enterprise and using firearms in the commission of attempted murder in aid of racketeering activity, according to the release.
According to the indictment, the suspects are members and associates of the Cowboys, a violent criminal street gang with members operating in South Carolina since at least 2009. Officials say the gang members reside in the "Eastside" of Walterboro and are led by Khiry Broughton.
"From October 2012 to November 2015, the Cowboys allegedly committed a wide range of crimes in order to further their racketeering scheme, including attempted murders, assault with dangerous weapons, drive-by shootings, home invasion robberies, threats of violence and distribution of narcotics...," the news release states.
The following members of the Cowboys have been indicted:
- Broughton, 25, aka Kblacka
- DaShawn Trevell Brown, 23, aka Shawny
- Clyde Naquan Hampton, 23, aka One Loyal Shooter
- Zaquann Ernest Hampton, 22, aka TOB
- Matthew Rashaun Jones, 22, aka Boogie Mac
- Christopher Sean Brown, 22, aka Roughish
- Bryant Jameek Davis, 21, aka Savo
- William Lamont Cox, 38, aka Wataz
- Quintin John Fishburne, 35, aka Q.
The indictment states that for a period of time, the Cowboys were working with another violent criminal street gang in Walterboro known as the Wildboys.
Wildboys members and associates allegedly committed a wide range of racketeering activity, including assault with dangerous weapons, murder, robbery and narcotics
The indictment charges the following defendants believed to be in the Wildboys with attempted murder in aid of racketeering activity and using a firearm during a violent crime:
- Joshua Edward Manigault, 30, aka J-Rizzle and Rizzle-Back
- Brian Manigo, 24, aka B-Nasty
- Kelvin Mitchell, 28, aka Kevy Boy
- Damien Robinson, 19, aka Sacked Up
- Devin Brown, 21, aka Deno Badazz
Agencies investigating the case include The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Homeland security, the Colleton County Sheriff's Office, the Walterboro Police Department, Charleston County Sheriff's Office, the Dorchester County Sheriff's Office, the Summerville Police Department and the First Circuit Solicitor's Office are investigating the cases.