COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - A hearing for the three Colleton County children who went missing while playing in their yard in March was postponed Wednesday.
The hearing was set to be held Wednesday morning, but was postponed shortly after 9 a.m. It was not immediately clear why the hearing was postponed.
The children, ages 2, 3 and 4, have been in protective custody with the Department of Social Services since the incident as deputies investigated their disappearance on March 9.
Authorities found the children in an abandoned trailer approximately 100 yards from the yard in which they were last seen playing some 18 hours after they were reported missing in a 911 call.
Deputies believe someone took the children from that yard, since they had previously searched the trailer before the children were later found there. At a hearing on March 14, Colleton County Sheriff's Capt. Jason Chapman said it appeared someone who was comfortable with the children was able to abduct them.
"At this point in time, law enforcement can't without a doubt point a finger at who took these children, or who originally abducted the children and sneaked them back in that abandoned residence," Chapman said.
He also told the judge people have been given lie detector tests, search warrants have been served and cell phone records have been searched.
The judge told family members he understood it was a trying time, but ruled authorities need to go further in investigating the circumstances surrounding the disappearance, but ordered DSS to organize supervised visits for family members.
There was no immediate word on when the hearing will be rescheduled.