BERKELEY COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - The U.S. Forest Service has released the warning signs that you might be near a methamphetamine cooking site after some were spotted in areas around Francis Marion and Sumter National Forests.
Unlike other illicit drugs, meth is the easiest to be made using household ingredients, the Forest Service says.
The chemicals used to produce meth are extremely hazardous. Some are highly explosive if mixed or stored improperly.
"Simply being exposed to the toxic chemicals used to make the drug can cause a variety of health risks," a news release from the agency states.
They advise to be cautious if you happen to come in contact with the following. These may be signs you're near a hazardous methamphetamine site.
- Flammable solvent in large containers or with other waste. May include camping fuel, paint thinner, engine starter fluid, heat, or paint thinner.
- Any containers with “bi level” liquids or residue
- Any containers with plastic tubing or hoses
- Quantities of coffee filters or paper towels with unusual, often reddish stains
- Drain openers, muriatic acid, Red Devil Lye, Crystal Drano, iodine, hydrogen peroxide, and isopropyl alcohol
- Propane tanks with painted or corroded brass fittings
- Large quantities of glass and plastic containers, buckets, plastic hose
- Batteries that have been opened to get the lithium strips
- Syringes found in dump site area
- Light bulbs found near dump site area
- Trash bags with an ether, solvent or ammonia odor
If you think you have come in contact with a meth lab, or a meth lab trash dump, leave it alone and report it immediately to police or Forest Service district office.