CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - School districts, colleges and universities and businesses across the Lowcountry are assessing damage and making schedule decisions in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew's landfall on Saturday.
The following schools have announced schedule changes:
- Beaufort County Schools closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Charleston County Schools reopened on Tuesday with the exception West Ashley Head Start, E.B. Ellington Elementary, Jane Edwards Elementary and Minnie Hughes Elementary. E.B. Ellington and West Ashley Head Start should reopen on Wednesday. We anticipate Minnie Hughes will reopen Thursday, October 13. Jane Edwards will be closed for at least 5-10 days for repairs. During that time, Jane Edwards students will be bused to Minnie Hughes. Bus pickup and drop off times for Jane Edwards students will remain the same as they are now.
- College of Charleston classes will resume on Wednesday.
- Colleton County Schools will be closed for the remainder of the week and will reopen on a regular schedule on Monday. The district released the following information:
In the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew, the county still has a large number of households without power and numerous roads remain closed or impassable by school buses. I would like to thank the individuals who worked tirelessly to restore power and remove debris and hazards from our roads to allow for the safe return of students to their schools on Monday.
Also, I would like to thank parents, students, and staff members for their patience as we work to resume normal operations. As always, the safety of everyone is our number one priority in all decisions made.
School and district administrators and all 230/240-day staff members should report on Thursday, October 13, 2016 at their regular work time. (240-day maintenance and custodial staff will report at 7:30 a.m.) If conditions prevent you from reporting to work safely, please contact your immediate supervisor.
- Dorchester County School District 4 schools will be closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. DD4 Schools will hold Staff Development Days Thursday & Friday (beginning at 9a). Schools will reopen on Monday, October 17, 2016
- First Baptist School - Charleston SC - No school on Tuesday. Classes resume on Wednesday.
- Georgetown County School District will be closed through Friday. Georgetown County School District will be closed for students on Thursday and Friday, October 13-14. On Thursday, October 13, all 240-day employees are to report to work. Friday, October 14, will be a work day for ALL Georgetown County School District employees. All employees are to report to work. Georgetown County School District will resume a regular schedule on Monday, October 17
- Trident Technical College will be closed on Monday. College offices will reopen Tuesday. Classes offered through Continuing Education will resume on Tuesday. Academic classes will resume on Wednesday. The college's St. Paul's Parish site in Hollywood will be closed until power is restored.
- Williamsburg County School District will be closed Thursday and Friday.
- William-Randolph Christian Preparatory School of the Arts will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
The following make-up days have been announced for schools that previously canceled classes:
- Dorchester County School District 2 will have a full day of classes on Friday rather than an early-release as originally planned. Monday will also be a full day of classes rather than a staff-development day as originally planned.
The following government offices and agencies announced schedule changes:
- Beaufort County offices will return to normal operating hours at 8 a.m. on Wednesday. All Parks and Leisure Services (PALS) facilities will remain closed to the public. Beaufort, Bluffton and Lobeco branch libraries will reopen for normal business house on Wednesday.
- Georgetown County offices and facilities will be closed except for the county landfill and community recycling centers. Emergency workers, essential personnel and all public services department staff are asked to report to work as usual.
The following business announced closures:
- Boone Hall Plantation's Pumpkin Patch remains closed on Wednesday but will reopen on Thursday. Boone Hall Plantation has reopened for regular tours. The Boone Hall Farms Market is open.
- Charleston Animal Society closed until further notice
The following events have been postponed and rescheduled:
- Charleston Arts Festival events rescheduled
- Charleston Stand Down Against Homelessness will be postponed to later date
- CHE meeting for Thursday has been postponed until Oct. 13.
- Clips Beer & Film Tour originally set for Wednesday as been canceled
- DD2 Foundation presents the Big Obstacle Challenge rescheduled for Sat. Oct. 29.
- Folly Beach October council meeting postponed to Tuesday at 7 p.m.
- Galliard Center events Dance Theatre of Harlem, Najee and Bernadette Peter postponed to later dates
- Goose Creek Fall Festival rescheduled for Saturday, Oct. 22
- H.L. Hunley submarine tours are canceled for the weekend
- Junior Service League of Summerville's 24th annual Scarecrows on the Square event rescheduled for the following weekend starting Oct. 14
- MOJA events (rescheduled, info to be posted on their site Wednesday)
- Mount Pleasant Police Department's Citizen Police Academy scheduled for Thursday has been canceled
- Mount Pleasant Police Department's Coffee with a Cop scheduled for Friday has been canceled
- Oblique Health & Fitness Expo planned for Saturday will be postponed to later date
- Palmetto Goodwill Hippie Dash has been rescheduled for Nov. 5 at 8 a.m.
- Sophia Institute workshop rescheduled
- South Carolina Whitmire School has postponed its Pizza in the Park events in North Myrtle Beach, North Charleston, Columbia, Simpsonville and Aiken for Oct. 14 from Noon until 2 p.m.
- Annual Uncle George Pig Roast originally set for Saturday will be rescheduled for a later date
- Young Nonprofit Professionals lunch canceled
Check back for the latest information.