CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - The coroner's has identified a man who died in a fire at a West Ashley mobile home this past weekend.
The Charleston County Coroner's Office says 71-year-old Irvin Hollington died at his home on Rochelle Avenue on Sunday.
The fire is being investigated by the Charleston Police Department.
According to a news release, crews showed up to the home less than four minutes after being called to find smoke and flames.
Hollington was found inside a bedroom and taken to an area hospital. Officials say he did not survive.
Investigators say the fire started in the kitchen, near the stove and microwave outside of the victim's bedroom. One of the two smoke alarms inside the home was not functioning, according to the Charleston Fire Department.
The Charleston Fire Department reminds citizens of these important tips:
1) Place smoke alarms on every level of the home and near sleeping areas.
2) Install smoke alarms within bedroom areas to improve coverage.
3) Test smoke alarms monthly and change batteries annually.
4) Never disconnect smoke alarms.