Quantcast

At least 12 patients recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

At least 12 patients recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning

Source: Roper St. Francis Source: Roper St. Francis
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

At least twelve people are recovering at Roper Saint Francis Hospital after exposure to carbon monoxide this weekend.

Meredith Huggins, a spokeswoman for the hospital, said two families were brought in for carbon monoxide poisoning early Sunday morning.

“I’m told they were at home running generators in their garage,” Huggins said. “When they went to go to bed, they closed the door.”

Huggins said the families woke up in the middle of the night feeling the effects of carbon monoxide.

“They were nauseous, dizzy, confused and very sick,” she said.

Six of these cases were severe levels of exposure and required treatment in hyperbaric oxygen chambers, according to Huggins.

“They’re treated for two hours at a time in the chamber, and then have to go back for more,” Huggins said. “It’s a process.”

The six other patients were treated in the emergency room for their symptoms.

As of Monday morning, Huggins said all of the patient’s conditions have improved.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can kill you.

When using generators, make sure they are not inside your home, basement, or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.

Copyright 2016 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly