EDISTO BEACH, SC (WCSC) - More Edisto Beach residents are being cleared to inspect their homes. Officials began the "staged" re-entry process Tuesday by allowing a designated group of residents a 7-hour window to check on and secure their property.
Town of Edisto Mayor Jane Darby said around one hundred National Guardsmen are working to clear roads and streets to allow further access. The process was still underway Thursday morning. Officials estimate around 4 ft. of sand was pushed onto the street from storm surge.
Around one hundred linesman were also on the beach Thursday in efforts to re-power the island, according to the mayor. Mayor Darby said several areas had already been re-energized but water and sewer has not yet been restored. According to an update on the town's website, a main water break happened during the the hurricane, and a boil water advisory is in effect for anyone who does have water access.
RESIDENTS OF THESE STREETS MAY ENTER ON THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2016. ***SOME OF THESE AREAS ARE STILL FLOODED AND WILL HAVE BARRICADES TO PREVENT CAR ENTRY. BE PREPARED TO WALK THROUGH WATER.***
ALL OF WYNDHAM; 1700 PALMETTO AND UP TO THE BEGINNING OF YACHT CLUB; POMPANO; ALL CROSS STREETS SOUTH OF LYBRAND (which are listed below); CATHERINE; MITCHELL; BAYNARD; EDINGS; JENKINS; SEABROOK; MURRAY; HOLMES; LORING; LAROCHE; NEPTUNE; BILLOW; WHITE CAP; EDISTO; MIKELL; TOWNSEND; LOUSIE; SUNSET; EBB TIDE; MYRTLE STREET; LEE STREET; FORT STREET; ARC STREET
- YOU MAY ONLY ACCESS YOUR PROPERTY AND MAY NOT VISIT ANY OTHER AREA OR BUILDING.
- YOU WILL BE ISSUED A DAY PASS AT THE CHECKPOINT AFTER YOU PRODUCE ID SHOWING THE ADDRESS OF YOUR PROPERTY. THIS MAY BE A DRIVERS LICENSE, UTILITY BILL, OR TAX BILL.
- YOU MAY HAVE TO WADE THROUGH WATER SO DRESS APPROPRIATELY WITH BOOTS, LONG PANTS, ETC.
- NO RESOURCES ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. PLAN TO BRING ANY SUPPLIES THAT YOU NEED. WATER, FOOD, ETC. NO WATER IS AVAILABLE FOR CLEANING.
- ANY SPOILED FOOD MUST BE BAGGED AND PLACED IN THE GARBAGE CART AND ROLLED TO THE CURB. DO NOT PLACE IN THE STREET. DO NOT PLACE IN FRONT OF ANY OBJECT THAT WOULD BLOCK THE GARBAGE CONTRACTOR’S EQUIPMENT.