CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - As some victims of Hurricane Matthew remain without power, Lowcountry businesses are offering services or freebies to those in need.
Verizon announced it will extend an earlier offer to remove charges for talk, text and data that exceed regular plans for cusomters in Hurricane Matthew-impacted areas.
Here are the new dates during which the data relief period is in operation by county:
- Beaufort (Oct. 7 to Oct. 16)
- Berkeley (Oct. 7 to Oct. 11)
- Charleston (Oct. 7 to Oct. 16)
- Clarendon (Oct. 7 to Oct. 16)
- Colleton (Oct. 7 to Oct. 11)
- Darlington (Oct. 7 to Oct. 16)
- Dillon (Oct. 7 to Oct. 11)
- Dorchester (Oct. 7 to Oct. 11)
- Florence (10/7 — 10/11)
- Georgetown (Oct. 7 to Oct. 11)
- Hampton (Oct. 7 to Oct. 11)
- Horry (Oct. 7 to Oct. 16)
- Jasper (Oct. 7 to Oct. 11)
- Lee (Oct. 7 to Oct. 16)
- Marion (Oct. 7 to Oct. 11)
- Marlboro (Oct. 7 to Oct. 16)
- Sumter (Oct. 7 to Oct. 16)
- Williamsburg (Oct. 7 to Oct. 11)
AT&T said it will also waive data charges for people in the Matthew impact zone. All call, text and data charges from Oct. 7 to Oct. 11 will be waived, a spokesperson said.
The Charleston area BI-LO is giving away 40,000 pounds of free ice to Lowcountry residents who do not have electricity or safe drinking water.
"We know that many in our community are in need and we are very happy to be able to provide free ice today," BI-LO Regional Vice President Frank Archer said. "We will continue to be a part of the recovery process and do all that we can to support our customers as we all rebuild and recover."
The ice will be given away on a first-come, first-serve basis at two Bi-Lo locations:
860 Folly Road, Charleston
9616 Highway 78, Ladson
Planet Fitness and O2 Fitness Clubs are offering the use of their shower and bathroom facilities to any residents who remain without power or water, even if they are not members.
"Some of our neighbors are having a tough time in the wake of Hurricane Matthew and we want to let them know we're there for them, whether they're club members or not," O2 Fitness Clubs Area Director Melissa Griffin said.
Planet Fitness is offering the use of its showers and locker rooms, but does not provide towels. Non-members using Planet Fitness facilities must show ID and sign into the guest register.
Planet Fitness operates three locations in the area:
- 601 Belle Station, Mount Pleasant
- Northwoods Mall, North Charleston
- Citadel Mall, West Ashley
O2 Fitness operates 11 facilities in the area:
- Daniel Island, 295 Seven Farms Drive, Daniel Island
- Goose Creek, 214 Saint James Avenue, Goose Creek
- Hanahan, 1005 Tanner Ford Boulevard, Hanahan
- Park West, 3301 Stockdale Street, Mount Pleasant
- Johnnie Dodds, 910 Johnnie Dodds Boulevard, Mount Pleasant
- Coleman, G 320 W Coleman Boulevard, Mount Pleasant
- 414 Drive In Lane, Moncks Corner
- 8545 Dorchester Road, North Charleston
- 829 Orangeburg Road, Summerville
- 466 Savannah Highway, West Ashley
- 1964 Ashley River Road, West Ashley
Hurricane Matthew was a Cateogry 1 storm when it made landfall Saturday in the McClellanville area. That same day, nearly 300,000 people across the Lowcountry were reported to be without power. On Wednesday morning, that number had dropped to about 52,000.
President Barack Obama declared a major disaster exists in the State of South Carolina and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local recovery efforts in 13 counties most severely affected by Hurricane Matthew: Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Darlington, Dillon, Dorchester, Florence, Georgetown, Horry, Jasper, Marion, and Williamsburg counties.