EDISTO BEACH, SC (WCSC) - It's been a little over a week since Hurricane Matthew hit the Lowcountry and many at Edisto Beach are trying to pick up the pieces after the town practically shut down after the storm.
"It's good to be back," resident David Taylor said. "I was one of the ones that was going to stay."
Taylor said his daughters convinced him to evacuate, and he's glad given the town had no water in the aftermath. The hurricane left a maze of downed trees across his yard.
"It's like a jungle out there, it's a mess," Taylor said. "It's going to be awhile before we get it all cleaned up."
Mayor Jane Darby said the former security checkpoint which had been securing the town since the storm is closed, and National Guardsmen are now dispersed throughout the town to continue cleanup efforts.
"Mud, mud, mud…it's just a mess, a muddy mess," part-time resident Bill Bowers said. "But nothing structural. We were very fortunate, and we feel great concern for our neighbors some of which lost their entire homes in this storm."
Parts of Palmetto Boulevard remained closed on Monday while other streets such as Myrtle remain barricaded and covered with stagnant storm water. The mayor said a boil water advisory is in effect and swimming is prohibited for possibility of contaminated water. Yet, some residents said the it could have been much worse--
"A category 2 hurricane is as lot more than I thought it would be…we got lucky," Robert Renner said. "I came back on Tuesday to assess the damage, but I didn't think we'd be back for a couple of weeks."
The beach also remains closed and people are told to stay off the sand gathered by National Guard along Palmetto Blvd. Town officials said they hope to evaluate and save sand washed ashore from the dunes,
The town curfew, in place since the evacuation, has been lifted, according to Mayor Darby.
Copyright 2016 WCSC. All rights reserved.