HANAHAN, SC (WCSC) - The Berkeley County Coroner's Office identified the woman killed in a house fire in Hanahan Thursday afternoon.
Hilda Jones, 88, died in the fire, according to Berkeley County Coroner Bill Salisbury.
Firefighters went inside the home going room to room and found Jones lying on the kitchen floor of the home, he said.
Crews were called to the scene of the fire at the 5,900 block of Williard Drive off Yeamans Hall Road at approximately 11:44 a.m. and found the house "well involved" when firefighters first arrived, Hanahan Police Capt. Mike Fowler. Hanahan Police Capt. Mike Fowler said.
Fire officials say the majority of the fire was in the garage area.
According to emergency officials, the car inside the garage was causing problems as responders tried to put the fire out.
The North Charleston Fire Department was assisting the Hanahan Fire Department, NCFD spokesperson Bianca Bourbeau said. The identity of the victim has not yet been released.
Friends of the victim say she was a lovely woman who loved her family.
State Law Enforcement is investigating the fire which appears to have started in the garage.
Karina Bolster spoke who neighbors who say it's a terrible tragedy they won't forget.
One woman says she heard glass breaking, and that's what made her come to this house after seeing smoke come from the garage.
"We immediately got up and walked around here and tried to get in the front door, which was closed," said Betty Gibson, a friend of the victim."We called the fire department and within five minutes they were out here."
Forty-five firefighters from Hanahan, North Charleston, and Charleston fire departments responded to the call just before noon.
"When they got there and started getting it down, the black started clearing down, and then the white smoke. It was a lot," said Jerry Green.
"It was high. Very very high, just swirling," said Charlie Rodgers who lives nearby.
The flames took the life of an 88 year old woman.
Neighbors say she had live in the home for many years.
"She was a wonderful woman," said Betty Gibson, a friend of the victim's."Wonderful neighbor. She would sashay in my house two or three times a day. She loved her home and she loved her family."
For Hanahan this was the second fire they responded to on Thursday.
In this case, the fire resulted in death which the Chief says is never easy to handle.
"We today make it a point to talk to somebody, because back when I started in the fire service you didn't share your emotions," said Chief Joseph 'Bo' Bowers, with the Hanahan Fire Department."You just swallowed it and dealt with it."
Resources were available on scene today to assist the family and firefighters during the emotional time.
The fire chief says the last deadly fire his team can recall happened more than ten years ago in the city.
It is normal for SLED to investigate when there is a death involved in a fire.