Quantcast

City of Charleston: 46,000 cubic yards of debris removed since H - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

City of Charleston: 46,000 cubic yards of debris removed since Hurricane Matthew

Tree down and blocking roadway after Hurricane Matthew. (Source: St. John's Fire Dept.) Tree down and blocking roadway after Hurricane Matthew. (Source: St. John's Fire Dept.)
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

In an update Tuesday, the city of Charleston reported that 46,645 cubic yards of FEMA-measurable debris were collected in the city over the last three weeks in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew. 

“Though there’s still much to do, we’re proud that our hard-working city employees and staff have so far been able to match the standard of excellence set by the city of Charleston in previous hurricane recoveries,” Mayor John Tecklenburg said. “And our task moving forward is clear -- it’s to keep moving faster, to keep bringing more resources to bear, until this job is done and our streets and neighborhoods are even cleaner and clearer than they were before the storm.” 

The city also announced that \ it is working with the FEMA-certified contractor to add more local debris-removal subcontractors.

“With almost fifty percent more debris than we saw after Hurricane Floyd in 1999, this a big job, and we need to have all hands on deck,” Tecklenburg said. “We are grateful for the tremendous efforts of everyone who’s worked so hard up to this point, and we appreciate the willingness of our local small businesses to add their resources to the effort. Even more, we’re grateful to our citizens, who’ve done so much over the past few weeks to assist with the cleanup, and whose patience and understanding throughout this process has been so remarkable.”

Copyright 2016 WCSC. All Rights Reserved. 

Powered by Frankly